Monday, August 25, 2014

Four Political Parties and Only One Lukewarm Denier



First off, I want to apologize to any Kiwi readers I might have for my embarrassing ignorance. Other than your nuclear-free zone and a certain filmmaker who seems bound and determined to ruin the work of a favorite author of mine (anyone who has been paying close attention to my YouTube channel understands I'm not a fan), I know so very little about your country, and even less about its politics.

However, after watching the video below, as an American, I gotta say I am extremely jealous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that in New Zealand you may have up to six major political parties to choose from (Green, Labour, National, ACT, NZ First, and Conservative), and only one, ACT, the free market party, appears to be in any sort of troubling denial over climate change. I could carry on at length about why this Jamie Whyte clown is mostly wrong, especially when it comes to his unfortunate ignorance about the maturity of climate science, but the rolling eyes, sheepish grins, and head shaking of his on-stage peers speak volumes about how foolish his statements are. And even he admits there's a scientific consensus behind anthropogenic global warming (AGW), and really just appears hopelessly married to silly lukewarmer arguments that the effects won't be bad, because his political ties force him to support the archaic notion that protecting the environment is bad for business. Three out of four party representatives not only accept AGW as real, but recognize it as possibly the greatest threat we face, and mostly wrangle over the best policy choices to deal with it.

Wow. Just wow.

You have no idea how favorable your present political climate is to our own here in this country.

Have a watch, my fellow Americans, and see how sensible the political exchange over climate change could be here, if we pulled our collective cranium out of our collective posterior.

No comments: