Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Reactions to a Recent Change of Environmental Heart by Churchgoers


My present blogging mood.


It's unfortunate that the higher-ups in a religiously-affiliated org have to apologize to their church-going constituency for their climate change advocacy and tiptoe through an explanation of it (see the 10th vid in the embedded playlist below). It speaks volumes about how religious thought can lead people into lamentable and intractable states of science denial.

That being said, as an atheist, I'm honestly torn about the recent movement within Christianity to take up the environmental stewardship mantle, and to engage in "creation care." I don't know how to process it, after all those years of hate spewed at us environmentalists from the pulpit, and the fact that, sigh, we still have to put up with it today. Should I be happy that they're slowly coming around now, and, well, seeing the light on this issue? Or should I still want to kick them where it counts for all the derogatory nonsense, as has been my instinct/reaction for most of my life?

Take the Eden Reforestation Project, for example. On the one hand, I think the videos below are really informative, and I found the peaceful, verdant background setting to be fitting and soothing while watching them. Also, it's a great cause, so I wouldn't fault anyone for donating. But, I dunno, on the other hand, due to past ecological transgressions on the part of religious zealots, maybe they really deserve to have their funds routed to a more secular-minded preservation/reforestation project. Maybe, if you want to help restore desperate, denuded areas, you should give your money to the Jane Goodall Institute instead, for instance.

One less philosophically-loaded and more technical complaint, there was no playlist for videos obviously intended to be watched as a series. Uh, ERP folks, someone in your org needs to learn how to make YouTube playlists. Till then, you can you use the one I had to make in order to embed these videos into my blog properly. And you're welcome. :)



While watching these vids, I kept thinking of Jimmy Carter and Habitat for Humanity, and the mixed feelings they elicit in me. I think Carter is a great man, and providing the less fortunate with affordable housing is about as noble a cause as one can promote, but do they just have to...?
Our mission is to put God’s love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities and hope.


You would figure a supreme being is quite capable of putting His own love into action all by Himself, no?

Reforestation really is just such an important issue, however, that, even as an atheist, I'm almost tempted to forgive them for the Biblical reference in their organization's title, and their church affiliation.

Almost. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry about this getting posted way, way, way before I was finished editing/writing it.

I hit the "Publish" button accidentally instead of "Preview."

Grrrrrrr.