Friday, August 29, 2014

Climate Change? Like, OMG! As If! Whatever! Boring!

I don't even...



OK, lemme start my response by reminding everyone that I'm not a stick in the mud. I get what Veritasium is trying to say here. Settled science can become boring at times to a certain degree, if you have taken the time to digest and immerse yourself in its findings and predictions. You kinda end up twiddling your thumbs and hoping something new comes along to rock the boat, so to speak. And I even think it's a pretty cool YouTube channel with some lively, science-friendly, informative videos.

But, ummmm, see, the problem with declaring climate change boring now is that we are most likely in for one hell of a ride. And I don't think I can stress enough that, as tokodave a contributor over at Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy blog puts it, uncertainty (the kind lukewarmers like Judith Curry like to hang their hats on) is not your friend. In fact, I would even go so far as to say we might prefer a little boredom over the excitement climate change already has delivered and is delivering...









Needless to say, I'm of the opinion that Veritasium has probably chosen the wrong word to describe climate change. Jussayin.

No comments: