Thursday, July 31, 2014

Yes, but How Many Empire State Buildings Is the World Losing?



Yesterday, I estimated how many Empire State Buildings fit into the volume of sea ice lost by the Arctic each decade and year (3 million and 3 hundred thousand, respectively).

Today, I want to attempt that same calculation with the entire world.

Now, I am going to take a massive shortcut by using IPCC AR4 sea level rise (SLR) contribution data, and a simple conversion formula (1mm of global SLR = ~360 Gt ice, and 0.92 tonnes of ice ≡ 1 m³ of ice).

Rate of SLR (mm per year)
Source of sea level rise          1993–2003
Glaciers and ice caps          0.77 ± 0.22
Greenland Ice Sheet          0.21 ± 0.07
Antarctic Ice Sheet          0.21 ± 0.35


Adding those together, and using the conversion formula above, we get 1.19mm/yr and 11.9mm/decade SLR from those three sources, or 4,656,521,739,130 m^3 global land ice volume lost every ten years. Divide that by the volume of the Empire State Building, and, for the sake of perspective once again, we have an additional 4,656,522 famous skyscrapers to tack onto yesterday's figure. That's the volume of approximately 7.6 million Empire State Buildings lost in ice worldwide each decade, and seven hundred and sixty thousand lost each year. Also, that's the volume of about 1.5-2 Mt. Everests lost each decade by my admittedly wanting estimation of the space taken up by the notorious peak.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I apologize for the initial "3,500,000" error. I used the yearly SLR figure (1.19mm/yr), rather than the total for a decade (11.9mm/yr) by mistake and therefore was off by a factor of ten at first.

Grrrrr.

My math is hopefully as correct now as the assumptions I make in the post will allow. I welcome any corrections, however.