Friday, July 18, 2014

I Have a Nerdy Smile from Geeky Ear to Geeky Ear

Time to take a little Friday night break from antagonizing all those silly little deniers out there, because recently I donated to the best podcast on the Web and, frankly, in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE, Big Picture Science (BPS), and received the following reward via old-fashioned snail mail.





A photo of the BPS crew, signed by everyone, and a letter with a note from Seth about how much he loves Jersey (one can only assume he didn't leave the nice Princeton area much while studying here...I kid, I kid).

Nerd achievement unlocked. G'head, I dare you to try to tell me you're not jealous. :)

If you don't know, or haven't listened to BPS, and you have any interest in science at all, then shame on you. All joking aside, it really is one of the best science programs you can listen to on the Interchutes. And, no, just because it's produced at the SETI Institute does not mean it's all about finding signals from little green men, though they certainly go there now and then. They cover just about any and every research field and topic you can think of. The best part: it's free. Well, until you realize like I have that donating to such a well-produced, well-researched show is worth every last penny. Seriously, just go there, and have a listen to some of the archived episodes. I guarantee you BPS will become a regular part of your science podcast regimen. Seth Shostak is my personal copilot, and a science promoter on par with Carl Sagan (yup, I said Carl Sagan). Molly Bentley has one of those soothing, knowledgeable voices you just can't help but want to listen to. And her deadpan responses to Seth's barrage of silly puns are almost worth the listen all by themselves. Gary Niederhoff is a talented goof who will get some sincere laughs out of you. And the quality of the show should have Barbara Vance swimming in Net awards.

Yup, I'm a fan, and you should be, too. Go listen. Go donate.

My selfish interest is you helping ensure that I have a great show to listen to indefinitely, in case you were wondering why I'm promoting so heavily.

If anyone provides proof of donation in the comments, I will fess up and admit how much I donated. It's been blacked out in the letter image above, if you didn't notice.

Oh, and, yeah, they definitely do programs on global warming. Just go to the site and type in "climate change" in the search bar. Every last one is worth a listen.

No comments: